Wednesday, 21 December 2016

Tallarn Imperial Guard - first force

I've been busy. Which is to say I've been really ill, and painting is relaxing.

Lets talk about Imperial Guard (or as the Gothic kids say, Astra Militarum).

As ever, I don't want to tow the line of the fluff but would rather create my own. My Imperials are citizen-soldiers of the isolated Syndbou star cluster. A group of human partisans in a galaxy of daemons, aliens and posthuman horrors. These are not regular Astra Militarum, but volunteers and guerrillas who have earned their BS4 living on the edge of civilisation, trying to stop the encroachment of hostile species and cults. Outmanned and underresourced they are naturally most concerned with the strategic aims of the mission at hand.

My initial idea was to make an Emperor's Blade Assault Company. This formation from Damocles Mont'Ka consists of:



The benefits of the formation are:

  • Objective Secured on the infantry
  • Preferred Enemy against foes near objectives. 

This really appealed to me as a force - and it fits neatly into 1000 points. 

GW's old metal Tallarn Desert Raiders are really fun to paint. Taking a leaf from a previous project, I decided to start with a limited colour palette
but vary how those colours were applied to each model to give a sense of unity without uniformity (or uniforms!).


Metal Tallarns direct from GW. Felt good to see "1994" on the base tabs.

My first test models for shades. 

A splash of colour from knife sheaths and skulls.

This guy has great detail on the cloth of his headscarf. Probably my favourite of the Tallarn miniatures.

Got more Tallarns! Time to get a batch process going.

Initial base colours

Base colours for the company command squad.

Everyone's ready for basing!

Phew, finished!




Well, that's that! I have base coated their Chimeras, but nowhere near finished yet. I'll post them in a future update.

I'm also considering running this force using Genestealer Cult rules featuring several Neophyte Cavalcades. The sneaky tactics and careful planning of the Cult suit the feel of Tallarn models as guerrilla fighters.